Year 5 2020 - 2021
The children have been doing an AMAZING job of 'Expressing themselves' through this term's Geography topic of volcanoes.
Click here to see some of your superb work. We are so very proud of you all!
You might not consider yourself to be a confident illustrator. Why don't you 'Express yourself' and just enjoy having a go!
Below you will find a link to #Draw with Rob.
He is a bestselling and multi award-winning author/illustrator. He is also the official World Book Day Illustrator for 2019, 2020 and 2021. His first picture book, Blown Away, was published in 2014 and was only the second illustrated book in history to win the Waterstones Children's Book Prize.
http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob or go to the bottom of this page where you will see the You tube videos for just some of his creations!
Have fun and express yourself.
Children's Mental Health Week is taking place on 1-7 February 2021. This year's theme is Express Yourself.
Watch their Royal Patron HRH The Duchess of Cambridge's video message to mark the start of the week. Click on this link or see the video at the bottom of this page.
Click here to have a go with the Squiggle Game activity! You can also see the video at the bottom of this page.
Click here to have a go with 'Drawing your feelings' or go to the bottom of this page where you will see the Youtube video.
Click here to find out more about the Mindfulness Calendar and daily 5 minute activites that could be tried.
Click here for 'Top tips' for parents on encouraging your child to 'Express themselves'.
Why not Express Yourself through PE challenges.
Summer Term PE challenges
- There are 5 PE challenges .
- Go through each activity and get someone to time you for a minute on each one. How many of each activity can you do ?
- Record your result on the tracker sheet under the Gold, Silver or Bronze medal.
- Keep your tracker sheet and update it each week or as you complete the challenges. We’d love to hear how you got on and how many medals you achieved!
- TOP TIP- Have a practice beforehand at each challenge – even a few practices- to build up your strength and stamina before you fill in the activity sheet with your final effort.
- MOUNTAIN CLIMBER CHALLENGE(forward and back with legs is one mountain climb
- 40 or more : GOLD
- 30 or more : SILVER
- 20 or more : BRONZE
- STAR JUMPS CHALLENGE( clap hands above head and bring feet together for a complete star jump)
- 60 or more : GOLD
- 45 or more:SILVER
- 30 or more:BRONZE
- AROUND THE WORLD CHALLENGE (pass a ball or a cushion or cuddly toy around your waist – careful not to drop it!)
- 50 times or more around your waist: GOLD
40 times or more around your waist: SILVER
30 times or more around your waist: BRONZE
- SPEED BOUNCE (jump over a cushion or pillow on the floor. Both feet must land on the ground for a clean jump
- 80 + bounces: GOLD
- 60+bounces: SILVER
- 40+ bounces: BRONZE
- CATCH AND CLAP (throw up a ball/toilet roll/pair of socks, clap once, then catch it. You must make sure the throw is above your head. If you drop the item, just count from where you left off)
- 35 catch and claps : GOLD
25 catch and claps: SILVER
15 catch and claps: BRONZE
Don't forget to record the results of the challenge in the Table provided.
Children can be supported to take pictures of their ‘special items’ for parents to send them to our dedicated home-learning emails, listed below. Your child will be given a week in which they will be able to share.
We have given the children 6 different usernames and passwords for various online resources. As a separate document below, you will find details of each website and what we are using them for. This information has also be sent via email to you.
Topics this term
Also below as a separate document, you will find this term's curriculum map for year 5. This gives you an idea of what your children will be finding out about. It would be lovely if you can talk about the learning that has already taken place and what they are particularly enjoying.
A reminder that we start at the earlier time of 8:30am and finish at 2:55pm. PE will be on a Monday, so you need to wear your PE kit all day and school uniform on every other day. Please don't bring anything to school other than a lunch box (if required), coat and water bottle.
Every child has a reading book to keep at home - when they have finished the book, they can bring it back in to swap for another. Your child can also logon to Bug Club to have access to a range of books within their reading level online. There are no reading records at the moment due to covid restrictions, but we are reading individually in school and keeping records of this.
Children should know all their times tables by the time they enter Year 5, therefore, please make an effort to practise these regularly at home as we will be applying them within the Year 5 curriculum.
Some useful websites to help with learning times tables are:
From the Year 5 team
Year 5 have made 2 Christmas videos, please check the link at the bottom of the page!
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
Year 5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display